Sunday 29 May 2011

Bavarica: A Mare in a Million



I have trained more talented, bigger and faster horses but I have never known one to be as tough, reliable and resilient as Bavarica.


She's a nine year old now but won the tenth race of her career at Newmarket on Friday (pictured right) in her 98th race. We bought her as an unraced three year old in the annual Juddmonte disposal sale and she came from Roger Charlton's yard with a reputation as an 'unrideable bolter'.

Indeed, when we first got her, she was a very moody mare and would love to take a bite out of you and she did take a few runs to to get her head in front but since then she has been an asset to the yard and one of my favourite horses.


She has also been a great schoolmaster for younger jockeys to get the hang of race riding on as she is a very balanced horse but still takes a bit of riding as she can be keen if getting no cover in a race. My son Ross (who has won on her 5 times now), my nephew Adam Beschizza and Slade O'Hara all rode their first winners on her and set them on their ways.


The key to her longevity has probably been down to the fact that we turn her out every day and not over-worked her as she keeps herself very fit. After her Newmarket win, Bavarica had amassed over £60,000 in prize money (not bad for a low-level horse) and been placed on 49 of her 98 runs.

As I own her, the money has come in handy over the years and every time she wins, we acquire a new piece of kit - last time it was a flat-screen TV and now I've got my eye on a proper Sony camera. Let's hope she can keep winning because my shopping list is a long one!



On the same day as Bavarica, we had Sail Home at Pontefract. I was really disappointed with her run as I thought she should win but it turned out that she hated the course and it makes sense as all her winning (Yarmouth and Southwell) has been achieved on galloping tracks, so we will stick to that formula.


Sunny Spells also had two quick runs over hurdles during the week. He now qualifies for handicaps and I think he'll do well when stepped up to 2m4f as his jumping is a real asset.


I'll be getting a posh frock out for Friday as Spirit of Sharjah runs at Epsom on Oaks day. He has won over course and distance before, is well handicapped and I think he'll run a big race if getting the splits. I shouldn't get too dolled up though as it's straight on to Goodwood that evening with King Columbo. He too is well handicapped and the trip is ideal. A bit of rain could help his cause but it wouldn't surprise me if he ran well.


Earlier on in the week, Premier League is looking to lose his maiden tag at Southwell. He has run well at the place before but he's had a bit of a break and as he's a big horse, it wouldn't surprise me if he needed the run.




Three To Follow Update


Bavarica was not a popular choice in the entries but Shelley Birkett was lucky enough to choose her and the decision paid off as she now heads the leader-board. The victory also saw Maureen Youngs move into a tied second place.


1st - Shelley Birkett (31 points)

2nd - Maureen Youngs, Adam Beschizza (28 points)

4th - Rita Aspland (25 points)

Five others on 23 points, 4 on 18, 10 on 15, 1 on 13, 1 on 10, 2 on 8, 4 on 5 and one person on three points.

No comments:

Post a Comment