Sunday 9 February 2014

No more pain from Attain!

They say good things come to those who wait and it's fair to say that we have been more than patient whilst waiting for Attain to win a race. After such a promising start to his career, it is hard to believe that it would be two years and 23 runs before he finally got his head in front. It's not as though he has been running badly his whole life - he is one of the most consistent horses in the yard with a string of second and third places to his name. However, everything panned right for him at Wolverhampton on Saturday night and he came home to win easily by six lengths. It was also my first winner of the new year so it's good to get on the scoreboard with plenty of ammunition for the season ahead.
Attain (Ross) gallops before his win
 
We're not back at the races this week until Wednesday when Candesta heads to Lingfield. He made an encouraging debut for us last time and has come on for the run. He'll be qualified for handicap races after this third career race though so I think that is when he will find things easier.
Candesta (Shelley) & Shelia's Heart (Adam)
 
Handheld has been kept ticking along whilst we wait for a suitable race for him. He doesn't really show his best on the all-weather so I'm not too worried about running him a lot before the turf season starts again. He is one of my favourites in the yard as I ride him out too and he still shows a lot of ability on the gallops and I think towards the back-end of last year he was still improving. He is definitely one to watch for 2014.
Handheld (Euan)
 
The form of Vastly's last run was given a boost this week as the horse that finished second won at Lingfield and even though the winner got beaten today, I think that was quite a good race and he will improve for it too. We're going to try him over 1m3f next time as he seemed a bit outpaced over a mile so it will be interesting to see how the step up in trip works as he has plenty of ability.
Vastly (Ross)
 
No Such Number (Emma)
 
Bethan (Graham)
 
I went up to the Tattersalls February sale on Thursday without intending to buy a horse as none of the usual Juddmonte types really caught my fancy. However, I was watching some two-year olds walk around the ring and one really struck my eye. He was a fantastic walker and looked like he'd be a really early type. I watching him go up for auction and couldn't believe how cheap he was selling for so I thought I'd snap up a bargain and, having got him home, I'm not regretting the purchase.
He is by the champion first crop sire Acclamation who stands at a fee of £35,000 at stud. He is out of a winning juvenile mare called Dusty Moon who herself is related to Group winning mare Spotlight.
The pedigree and what you see in front of you all suggests he will be a useful youngster this season and he's available as a whole for £10,000 + VAT to stay in the yard.
As the owner, you will be able to name the horse and he will run in your own silks.
 
For more info, email me at hoofbeatstours@aol.com

No comments:

Post a Comment