Sunday 24 January 2016

Learning plenty after Kemsing's win

Even after 40 years working in horse racing, I am always learning and trying new things. This was shown no better last week than with Kemsing. He ran on Tuesday and looked an unlucky loser when beaten two heads into third place. Shelley came in afterwards annoyed that she had committed the horse too early. I had declared him for the following Thursday just in case he won easily but, after getting beaten, this looked like a bad move. However, Kemsing came out of the race so well the following day - he had eaten all of his dinner and breakfast and was kicking the door down - I decided to let him take his chance again, just two days after running. If my memory is correct, this is the first time I have let a horse run that soon after a previous race but luckily it all paid off as Shelley bided her time and Kemsing scored an easy win by over three lengths!
I still can't believe I own 60% of this horse - selling shares hasn't been easy and I can't understand why; this is a horse on the upgrade fast and he is still a long way from reaching his peak. 10% shares are available for the price they have always been - £1200 a share plus £200 per month all-inclusive training fees. If he wins again I might have to start putting the price up! Email me on juliafeilden@aol.com for more details.
Kemsing returns victorious

I'm delighted to report that the horses seem to be in great form with three winners on the board already this new year. Hopefully the ball can keep rolling and we can have a record-breaking year.
Already a winner in 2016 is Dakota City and he finally gets a chance to run over a long trip at Chelmsford on Thursday. I've been wanting to run him over further for a while and his win last time over his usual distance was a bonus. He settles very well so I think he has every chance of getting 1m6f and his turn of foot could be lethal against slower horses. Chelmsford do a great job and the prize money there is probably the best in the country - Dakota's class 5 race is worth £8000. We are taking a gamble with him but I hope it's one that pays dividends.
Dakota City (Caitlin)

Dark Diamond ran very flat last time after winning at Southwell before that and I think he just struggles with the rise in grade that comes after winning. He will need to drop a few pounds in the weights again and he can only do that by running so he heads to Lingfield on Friday. He is usually a reliable horse so hopefully he can bounce back and get competitive again.
Dark Diamond (Nick)

I was going to run Vastly this week but his usual jockey Adam advised against it as he felt last time that the horse didn't stay the 1m4f trip so he has to wait another week or two before there's a suitable race. He will probably try claiming company as he can get in off a good weight and there should be a smallish field which seems to suit him.
Architech is coming along nicely and isn't far off making his debut for the N.E.T. Racing Club. He has needed time to mature but looks a nice, strong gelding now and a run will do him the world of good.
Vastly (Mark) & Architech (Liam)

Our six juveniles are coming along very well and going about their canters with great professionalism. Obviously, the two-year old races do not start until April so there's plenty of learning for them to do yet but the early signs are promising and I definitely think they are the best bunch of babies we have had in a good few years. I just hope I'm right!
Secret Ballerina (Chloe)

Champagne Reef (Liam)

I'll give you an early warning that the hugely popular 'Three To Follow' competition will be back again this year with the start date penciled in to be March 1st. More details will follow in the coming weeks but you can get some early form research done to find those points scorers!

No comments:

Post a Comment