Wednesday 15 September 2010

All's good

Sorry for the belated update but it's been a busy few days.
With almost two runners everyday, I've been driving the horsebox everywhere from Goodwood to Chester.
The horses are in cracking form - Little Meadow and Sancho Panza both ran into the second spot whilst Exopuntia landed third.
It's really rewarding when horses like these, who are admittedly not the most talented, run well because they try their hearts out and you don't like to see them disappointed. The same applies to the owners who are real sportsmen and women and love their racing. The more infuriating side to training is when you have a horse with all the ability in the world but little willingness to use it. Luckily, we don't have too many of those types.

My son, Ross, had his horsebox driving debut on Tuesday as I let him drive the vehicle home from Yarmouth and, after going around the first bend like Lewis Hamilton accompanied by an earful of abuse from me, he eventually realised that boxes have to go a fair bit slower round bends and he was then driving like an experienced pro. He said he enjoyed it but he'll probably regret it when I send him to Wolverhampton for the 9.20pm race on his own!

The stable apprentice jockey, and my nephew, Adam Beschizza has had a marvellous run of things recently with eight winners in the past fortnight. We've always known he could ride (he was riding on the gallops aged 10) and it's really satisfying to see him doing so well. He's got some really nice rides this weekend at Ayr as Roger Charlton has put him on one that (and I quote Mr Charlton) "is a stone well in" for the Ayr Gold Cup.

I've got a few easy days but runners are around the corner. Generous Genella runs at Newmarket on Friday and I hope she fares better than she did on debut. She goes well at home but it is an extremely hot-looking race and it would not surprise me if we saw next year's Oaks winner in action. Depending on the weather, King Columbo and Marafong will go to Leicester next Monday and they both have great chances.
Elsewhere, Blackmore will have his stalls test before racing at Newmarket on Saturday and I expect all to run smoothly. He has shown no problems at home and I can't imagine he will provide any on the track.

1 comment:

  1. I just want to say a big Thank You to Julia and all the team for organising Generous Genella's run on friday when I was celebrating my half century at Newmarket. I had a great day and it was lovely to meet everyone there. At least the girl didn't come last...

    Thanks again.

    Anna

    ReplyDelete