Sunday 5 September 2010

What a difference a day makes.

It's amazing what can happen in 24 hours.
Saturday morning I was down in the dumps, a few of the lesser lights in the yard had worked below par and I was top of the Racing Post's 'cold trainers' list after not having a winner in nearly two months.
Come Sunday Afternoon, I'm on top of the world. As described in last week's post, Sancho Panza won at Windsor on Saturday and Exopuntia followed up the next day at Yarmouth.
'Exo' had been a shade disappointing recently after coming fourth on her seasonal reappearance earlier in the year. We had been experimenting with different trips for her and finally got it right (a mile) last time. Jockey Richard Mullen couldn't ride her after a fall the previous day so Tony Culhane got the leg-up. Tony had actually ridden the mare's half sister to victory twice so he knew the family.
Following orders perfectly, Tony steered Exo to a comfortable victory and which hopefully boosted her confidence.
To top it off, my son Ross also rode a winner at Goodwood for David Simcock and got a great picture in the Racing Post the next day.

Talking of the Racing Post, in today's edition is a questionnaire with myself. I tried to make it fairly light-hearted as serious answers are usually boring and I hope it makes someone smile. I'll put up the Q&As on here during the week when I get some time.

Only a few of our horses will be appearing in the Post this week as we don't have too many runners. Khajaaly goes to Doncaster on Tuesday and I expect an improved performance from him with the drop down to seven furlongs and the application of cheekpieces likely to suit.
The next visit to a racecourse isn't until Friday where King Columbo goes to Chester in a race which he should win. He ran a blinder to finish second last time and if all goes well, he should have a great chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment