Sunday 6 February 2011

The old mare back for another season

It was a real pleasure taking Bavarica to the races on Monday after giving her a few months off. Now in her 9th year she showed her usual zest for racing when coming 3rd and picking up a few more banknotes for me. Originally from Juddmonte, she always needed time and was sent to the sales after being described as a 'runaway', since we've trained her she's won 9 races and over £20,000 in prize money running in a lowly level. She in a lovely school mistress for my young jockeys and will continue to light up the racecourse until we pull the curtain down sometime towards the end of the year.

Sail Home was a little disappointing at Southwell on Thursday, after we had high expectations of her since winning earlier in the year. However, a fast pace set by Eseej found her stamina out a little and we've decided now to save her for when the turf kicks off, as at home she goes alot better on the grass. Baggsy showed up at Lingfield on Friday and gave another poor performance so she'll be sent to the sales soon, hopefully with that win at Towcester under her belt she'll be a nice little horse for a jumps trainer. We've also reserved a space at the sales for Always De One, although she's entered up in a hot race at Huntingdon and again at Market Rasen, we will have to wait and see if this is her niche because she's been jumping like Dawn Run at home!

Entrance on Wednesday would be in with a shout as I will admit she hasn't been as fit as I'd like in her first few runs for me, we're also still learning about her trip wise. Little Meadow and Beseech will go to Southwell on the 11th, the latter has been a slight disappointment so far but she keeps on staying on in her races.

As for me I'm having my stitches out (hopefully) tomorrow. My doctor said I'll be on two walking sticks for about 4 weeks, but it's been about 2 and I'm already going freestyle with none! I've been keeping drugged up to block out the pain but to be honest if I knew the surgery would be this painful then I would have given it a miss!

No comments:

Post a Comment