Monday 22 August 2011

Bavarica Does It Again

Well, the signs were there that we were a due another winner and it came at long last thanks (as ever) to the magnificent mare that is Bavarica.
On her 101st career run, she recorded her 11th victory and, to add to it all, it was also the first winner for my daughter Shelley. To say I was emotional would be an understatement!
Remarkably, Bavarica also landed first wins for my son Ross and nephew Adam - she is definitely one of the family. I never thought it would happen though as Shelley had ridden the mare twice before and things hadn't exactly gone to plan so we thought we would let her have another ride and, if she lost, at least she would drop in the handicap - how wrong we were!

It was a busy week for Shelley as she was riding over the following two days and finished fourth on both. Sancho Panza was running in the ladies' derby at Epsom and plugged on well but the rain came too late to improve his chances. The same can be said for King Columbo as the going was nowhere near as slow as the 'soft' description but he also landed some prize money.

The weather will be playing a big part in the plans this week as we're due a heavy shower tonight/tomorrow so wherever it lands will dramatically alter the going.
Should it arrive at Yarmouth tomorrow, Red Hearts won't be running as she needs the ground rock hard. If she does take her chance, she would have an each way squeak but my only worry is the seven furlong distance as she finds it a bit too far.

Rain could also affect Khajaaly's participation at Brighton on Friday. He needs it firm but would also be in with a shout should things fall right.

Unfortunately I couldn't make it to Folkestone with Entrance yesterday as I was rather lame. Having had a hip replacement back in January, I had waited (as the doctor advised) until mid-August until I could ride out again and after a week on a trotter, I rode a bit of work on Saturday. As soon as I got off though, I knew things weren't right - my hip had gone but not the new one, it was my other one that hadn't been replaced that was causing the pain. I've been to the doctors and go for an x-ray in a few days but the likelihood is that I'll need a new hip which does worry me after the complications I went through with the other. However, I can't have any excuses left when it is all done - unless something else gives way!

Back to Entrance. She was a bit disappointing on Sunday but it was the first time she had tried running over a mile and half in a while and, after racing freely early on, I don't think she quite saw out the trip. That's not to say she didn't stay but if she is to get the distance, she needs to relax more early on. I've got her in again on Saturday. It is at Redcar, a place we don't travel to very often, but the race is for amateurs and the filly has run some of her best races in them so it should be worth the journey.

We're busy on Sunday with quite a few in at Yarmouth. Exopuntia won this race last year and is in similar form this time around. She's had some excuses the last few times but if the ground has some ease in it, she should go well. The same applies for The Ducking Stool who hated the undulating track at Folkestone last time and she is miles better than that effort. I've entered Sail Home there too as the race looked week. She was the horse on whom my ill-fated piece of work took place on and I didn't get injured because I was pushing her, far from it - she was pulling my arms out and flew up the gallop. She's been a bit below par the last twice but we're going to try holding her up instead of making the running to see if it has a positive effect.



Three To Follow Update

Shelley Birkett was obviously trying hard to win as her victory aboard Bavarica puts her joint top with Richard Salmon.

1st - Shelley Birkett, Richard Salmon (44 points)
3rd - Maureen Youngs (38 points)
4th - Peter Darlington (36 points)
5th - Adam Beschizza (34 points)

No comments:

Post a Comment