Sunday 28 August 2011

Soft Going Keeps Us Grounded

As I said last week, the weather was going to be a major factor as to what we did over the next seven days and so it proved. Having geared myself up for a busy one, it turned out to be a much subdued period as various runners couldn't take their chance due to the soft ground.
The ones that did run, however, put in decent displays.

Luckily, the pain in my hip has ceased so I'm back up and running but I've had x-rays done and it looks like I'll be back on the operating table. There's no let up for me in the meantime though as I'm leading up at Epsom tomorrow!
Sancho Panza runs there in the Amateurs' Derby and I hope he can improve on his fourth place over the course and distance last time. He's gradually coming down in the weights and the jockey, my son Ross, has promised a Mickel Barzalona-esque celebration should he win - that would definitely be a photo for the mantelpiece!

One of the major headaches for any of us when we head south is the M25. It is such a nightmare and, as I'm sure you all know, you just can never guess what it is going to be like - on Friday it took me four hours to get to Brighton (a journey which usually takes just over two). I was tempted to turn around and come home but even the opposite carriageway was at a standstill!

We'll be braving it anyway on Tuesday when Sail Home travels to Goodwood. After promising to be an improving animal at the beginning of the year, she has disappointed on the last few runs but she seems in great form at home and she's sure to bounce back to form soon.

We took a chance with Red Hearts at Yarmouth on Tuesday as the ground was on the easy side and, as she is only a tiny filly, we thought it wouldn't suit her. To our surprise, she ran a blinder in finishing second so I wouldn't be too worried if the ground is good at Folkestone Wednesday when she runs again. The race doesn't look too great so she should be in the money again.
Dolly Bay goes with her and has come on a great deal for her debut a few weeks back. She worked well on Saturday and could win some money if there aren't any fancied horses from big yards against her.

Brighton is on the agenda again at the end of the week with Entrance and King Columbo. Both horses might not go together though as Entrance wants the ground firm and Columbo quite the opposite. Whichever one does run, we have quite a lot of success at the track and I hope they can both add to it.


As most of you probably know, we turn a lot of our horses out in the paddocks on a Sunday to let them unwind and stretch their legs. They really do love it and I think it's how we keep the older horses going year after year without them becoming sick of racing. Although they get some fresh grass in their bellies, the main benefit comes from the social interaction with other horses. I manged to catch Blackmore (left) strutting his stuff to Spirit of Sharjah this morning:




No comments:

Post a Comment